Monday, January 16, 2012

Full Cobb Stage 2 Map Review

So I've had enough time driving the car to now give a full review of the Cobb Stage 2 map. At stock power you really had to drive the car a specific way to feel the power, manually down shifting to keep the RPM's high and so on. With the Stage 2 map you no longer have to think about down shifting manually, the boost comes on soon enough that you now know your driving a car that wants to go fast.

At up to 3/4 throttle the boost seems to stay right around 10psi giving a nice even push until the car shifts at around 5k rpm. At full throttle the car really starts to pull hard but runs out of breath above 6k rpm pretty fast.

It's an interesting map where I feel that it's a big power improvement over my Stage 2 WRX but it still feels a little unrefined and I am sure there is a ton of performance being left on the table with this being an OTS (over the shelf) map.

I do really like the SI drive feature in the car, you can put it in "I" mode and the car feels stock, throw it in "S" mode and it like a Stage 1 and "S#" mode give you the full HP/TQ.

With all that being said I think I'm going to upgrade to a custom Etune. This is not a dyno/ProTune but a vendor that is remote and will send me a base map. I run the car with the base stage 2 map while logging certain parameters. I send the log back to the vendor who analyzes the data and sends me a revised map that is custom tuned to my car. We do this up to 6 times until the map is dialed in perfect for my car. I can expect some big gains in hp/tq and overall performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment